Want to become more involved in local bicycle advocacy? Consider joining the Madison Bikes board of directors.
Madison Bikes is looking for people who are dedicated, passionate, strong communicators, good compromisers, organized, and able to commit time and energy to promote biking as a priority in the city of Madison. There are no paid staff and everything we do—from fundraising to advocacy to communications to events—is done by our 15-member volunteer board and volunteer committee members.
We are currently accepting applications for at least one seat on our Board of Directors, with elections taking place in December. And we’re hosting a virtual open house where you can learn about us (see below for details).
Our organization is committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic board committed to equity and anti-racism in our work. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and other groups who are underrepresented in bike advocacy.
The Madison Bikes board is an all-volunteer working board. At a minimum, we expect board members to:
- Attend our monthly board meetings (6-8 pm every third Monday of the month, virtual for the foreseeable future), and when possible our community/work meetings (6-7:30 pm on the fourth Monday of the month)
- Have a passion for our organization’s vision: Making Madison a city where anyone can ride a bicycle conveniently and comfortably to any place in the city and neighboring communities year-round.
Other examples of things our board members do:
- Write for our blog
- Plan, organize, and promote events like Madison Bike Week, Winter Bike Week, or the Winter Bike Fashion Show (online or in-person events when those return)
- Attend city-held meetings (public input meetings, City Council meetings, local and regional transportation committee meetings)
- Mobilize the community to advocate for bike projects
- Meet and liaise with community partners (neighborhood associations, non-profits, other bike advocacy groups)
- Contribute to fundraising and organizational development efforts
If you are interested in joining our board, please complete this application form by October 16. If you would like to nominate someone other than yourself, please forward this post/email to them and ask them to apply.
A great opportunity to chat with current board members will be at our Virtual Board Open House on October 6th at 6 pm. Or you can email questions to email@example.com.
Our executive committee will review all applications and follow up with all applicants with the next steps.